Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Quinoa Pudding (like a rice or tapioca pudding)



This recipe has me so excited about eating healthy! I know it's a dessert but it's filled with all the whole grain goodness of Quinoa! And I for one am not going to feel too guilty about that! ENJOY! 
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (sugar substitute would be fine )
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp corn starch
1 egg
3 cups milk (almond or coconut milk would work too!)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place quinoa and water in a small sauce pan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil, covered, over medium heat. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is clear rather than white in the middle, and little "tails" appear. In a large sauce pan, whisk together the sugar, salt, cinnamon, & corn starch. Add the egg and whisk well. Whisk in the milk. Add the cooked quinoa. Heat milk mixture over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until boiling. Let bubble for 30 seconds and then remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Allow pudding to cool, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Stir and serve warm! Leftovers can be refrigerated and served cold.

2 comments:

  1. I followed the instructions exactly: the taste is fine, but the consistency is not; it is way too liquid and didn't firm up at all. Next time I'll either use more cornstarch or less liquid. ( I used my homemade almond milk). I had cooked a full cup of quinoa, so I added what I had left, and that improved it a little. Grand kids liked it ( and they are VERY picky!) ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. :)
    Pleasing the kids is always an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete